<$BlogMetaData>

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Book Review: Sensual Knits

I pre-ordered Sensual Knits a while back and have been anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I normally don't preorder knitting books; I usually have to flip through them in person and decide that there are enough patterns in it that I would actually have the skills to make and would want to take the time to knit. The gorgeous red jacket featured on the cover plus the allure of luxurious yarn made me throw caution to the wind, order the book, and pray that I would like more than just the cover project.

Sensual Knits really delivers and I'm excited about it. Compiled by Yahaira Ferreira, owner of Pure Knits, the book includes 25 designs that are absolutely gorgeous. The focus is on luxurious yarns and patterns that compliment them. It features wonderful, plush natural fibers such as alpaca, bamboo, merino, silk and cashmere. The book includes designs by some awesome designers in the blogging community such as Brooklyn Tweed, Saunshine, Olgajazzy, (who designed the chic Balloon Sleeved Jacket on the cover), Misocrafty and Tres Chic Veronique. Each pattern includes a brief bio of the designer and their web address.

The patterns are sized S/M/L (some including XXS to 3X) and include actual and finished measurements. Instructions are clear and don't appear to be too complicated; shematics are also included with each pattern. These designs are classic, feminine, and stylish. It's rare to pick up a knitting book and like every project, but I can honestly say I like EVERY project. I mean it, all 25 designs. It's really hard to pick favorites, but here's a sample of some of my favorites at the moment:

Pink Sundae


Joie de vivre Cardigan


Cleopatra Wrap


Arris Beaded Dress


Multiplicity

Seeded Cables Cardigan

Yahaira also included a section on luxury fibers and how to care for them, a techniques section (includes magic loop, three needle bind off and the turkish cast on), and a yarn resource section where the fabulous yarns featured in the book can be purchased. I'm really impressed by the book and the designs; it's definitely a keeper and a steal for the price. If Sensual Knits isn't on your Christmas list you definitely should add it!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Hello Kessa,
thanks so much for the book review. Looks like a book worth purchasing. Love your blog and have added it to my own blog roll.

3:52 PM  
Blogger sturdygirl said...

thanks for the book review. that Joie de Vivre cardigan is _gorgeous._ i'll definitely add it to my Amazon wish list! happy holidays - Dana.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Wow - great book review! I am adding that to my wish list now!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

I haven't seen this book yet, so I really love getting a sneak peek of some of the designs!

Very nice review :) thanks for sharing!

1:45 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Wow! I want that book! Thanks for sharing some pics! just gorgeous!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have just about finished the Arris Beaded Dress. Not too complicated and no seaming!

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home